Wednesday 12 March 2014

The last days of the farm

The university farm on my walk to work is being relocated. Unfortunately the new farm will not be a walk away from me.

I had some excellent birding last spring and autumn there so I have been very sad seeing it dismantled.

However for the past three evenings I have visited the 15% of the farm which still remains to see if there is any useful birding left.

first wryneck

On Monday, I came upon two passage birds almost straight away. This site has always been good for wryneck and sure enough I spied one on one of the remaining trees. 

second wryneck

A few minutes later after I had moved over to an corner of the remaining farm I came across another wryneck

first wryneck revisited

Just to make sure it was a different wryneck, I quickly doubled back to the original area and soon located the original wryneck on an adjacent tree making sure there were at least two wryneck present.

farm clearance

On Tuesday evening, I didn't spot either nor any other passage bird.

common redstart

This evening I was a little luckier. A common redstart was easily seen. Sadly I also saw that another part of the farm had been cleared and a lot of house sparrow were looking lost.

second view of common redstart

The resident birds seem to be employing different coping strategies. The crested lark and black bush robin have moved off all together.

Indian silverbill

The Indian silverbill seem to have dispersed into the surrounding area.

white eared bulbul and white spectacled bulbul

The white eared bulbul and white spectacled bulbul were seen fighting over the remaining trees.

common myna

The common myna don't seem affected yet.

little green bee-eater

 The little green bee-eater have become commuters. They roost away in a less disturbed area but are drawn back by the bee-hives that still remain.

Eurasian collared dove 

Collared dove numbers haven't changed yet and two rose-ringed parakeet paid a visit on Monday.

I will continue to visit the farm until the garden area goes. It could be a month. It could be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment