Wednesday 13 March 2013

Arab News article


A few weeks ago journalist George Dorley Doran accompanied Lou Regenmorter and I on a birding trip west of Riyadh. Our target birds for the day were Egyptian vulture and hooded wheatear. We saw neither. However we came across 4 griffon vulture which more than compensated.

The elusive hooded wheatear was seen two weeks later not too far away.

Last Wednesday, Arab News produced a full page article on the birding trip. I hope the article has helped put birding on the map among the English speaking communities in Saudi Arabia.

A reduced size photograph of the article is reproduced below. However if you want to read the full text, it is also on the newspaper's web site at: http://www.arabnews.com/offbeat/wing-and-prayer-birding-expedition-near-riyadh

Please visit their site!

Arab News article on birding in Saudi Arabia (Wednesday March 6th)

This weekend I am off to Yanbu on the west coast between Jeddah and Tabuk. This is my first time there and not much has been reported for the past 11 years. What was seen in the past was very interesting. I'll be reporting on my findings.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent - hv a good trip and i look forward to notes and pics..........

    Laurie -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie,

    Thanks. Some really good birds have been seen at Yanbu but I'd rather not count my chickens before they are hatched :-)

    Rob

    ReplyDelete